Butter and chives add rich and delicious flavor to this simple, yet classic American favorite.
- 4 pounds combination of yellow and Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 1/2 tablespoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with enough water cover and 2 tablespoons of the salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain them and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the half and half and butter until the butter is just melted.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl, add the half and half and butter, 1/2 tablespoon salt and pepper. Mix together with a spoon and add in the chives, once the ingredients are incorporated. Do not overmix or over-handle the potatoes. Serve immediately.
Enjoy these classic mashed potatoes alongside roasted turkey or other meats or a vegetarian entree. For richer, creamer potatoes, add more half and half and/or butter. For a smashed potatoes version, don't peel the potatoes and mix cooked potatoes just until small lumps remain.
610 calories, 11 g. fat, 35 mg. cholesterol, 80 mg. sodium, 45 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 6 g. protein