Masala Potato Appetizers
Inspired by the flavors of Indian cuisine, the delightful Masala potato topping also makes a tasty side dish.
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 Serrano pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- Baguette, sliced or baked pita chips
- Boil the potatoes whole until tender, remove from heat and allow them to cool. When cool enough to handle, slip the skins off the potatoes and cube or break them into chunks. Set aside.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the other ingredients. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and add the mustard seed. Once the seeds stop popping, add the onions and sauté until softened, then add the ginger and green pepper and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in the turmeric and salt, and then add the warm potato chunks. Add 1 cup of water and stir well. Add the cilantro and lemon juice, stir well and remove from the heat. The mixture should look slightly chunky.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of warm potato mixture on baguette slices or toasted pita chips and garnish with a pinch of fresh chopped Serrano pepper and a dusting of garam masala. Serve immediately.
Inspired by the flavors of Indian cuisine, the cooked potatoes in this appetizer can also be served as a side with marinated baked tofu or tandoori-spiced lamb or chicken.
Calories: 167, Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 188 mg, Carbohydrate: 30 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 4 g