Lemony Lentil Spinach Soup
This is one of our High Five recipes, made from five main ingredients or less. Simplify your life with more delicious High Five recipes.
Lentil soup is comfort food, and with a little lift from lemon, it becomes downright delicious. Adding oregano gives it a Greek flavor profile, and this soup would be great with flatbreads or a crumble of feta.
The High Five
- 1 cup lentils
- 1/2 large lemon, seeds removed
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Pantry and Kitchen Items
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the lentils, water, lemon half, carrots, oregano, salt and pepper in the slow cooker. Cover and set on low, and cook for 6 hours.
- At 6 hours, take off the lid and stir in the spinach and parsley. Stir for 1 minute to wilt, adjust seasonings and serve.
Serve a small plate of hummus with carrot sticks, cucumber slices and wedges of pita bread on the side of this lentil soup.
210 calories, 1.5 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 520 mg. sodium, 37 g. carbohydrate, 8 g. fiber, 15 g. protein