Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
This moist, rich, lemony poppy seed cake is a delightful dessert to put on repeat.
- 1 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F and grease a Bundt-style cake pan.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine poppy seeds and milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Let boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and let cool 20 minutes or until lukewarm.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl beat together the poppy seed mixture, egg yolks, sugar, yogurt, oil, butter, lemon zest, 3 tablespoons lemon juice and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until well combined.
- In a clean, dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites with a wire whisk or electric mixer until stiff beaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Gently spread the batter to smooth it out and fill in any gaps.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the cake is browned, the edges pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool 10 minutes, then invert the pan to release the cake.
- After the cake has completely cooled, mix together powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a small mixing bowl, until smooth. Drizzle the icing on the cake and let stand for 20 minutes until the glaze is set. Cut the cake into wedges and serve.
510 calories, 28 g. fat, 95 mg. cholesterol, 340 mg. sodium, 57 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 10 g. protein