Hot Chile Grilled Cheese
Total Time:30 minutes
A deconstructed version of a cheese and bean chile relleno turned sandwich!
- 4 poblano peppers, (see Note)
- 1 14-ounce can pinto beans, preferably low-sodium
- 3 tablespoons prepared salsa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack, or Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- Place peppers in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on High until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Let stand, covered, until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, combine beans, salsa and salt in a medium bowl. Mash the beans with a fork until they begin to form a paste (some can remain whole). Combine cheese, yogurt, scallions and cilantro in a small bowl.
- When the peppers are cool enough to handle, slice each one in half lengthwise and remove the stem and seeds.
- Heat a panini maker to high. (No panini maker? See Stovetop Variation, below).
- Spread 1/3 cup of the bean mixture on each of 4 slices of bread. Top with a heaping tablespoon of the cheese mixture. Place 2 pepper halves over the cheese. Cover with the remaining slices of bread.
- Grill the sandwiches in the panini maker until golden brown and through, about 4 minutes. Cut in half and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
Dark green poblano peppers, smaller than a bell pepper but larger than a jalapeño, can be fiery or relatively mild; there’s no way to tell until you taste them. Find them near other fresh peppers in the produce section.
Place four 15-ounce cans and a medium skillet (not nonstick) by the stove. Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 sandwiches in the pan. Place the medium skillet on top of the sandwiches, then weight it down with the cans. Cook the sandwiches until golden on one side, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, flip the sandwiches, replace the top skillet and cans, and cook until the second side is golden, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with another 1 teaspoon oil and the remaining 2 sandwiches.
415 calories, 6 g. fat, 13 mg. cholesterol, 761 mg. sodium, 70 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber, 19 g. protein