These whole grain, healthy pancakes are a great way to kick off your day!
- 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup buttermilk powder
- 5 tablespoons dried egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaxseed meal, (see Note)
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup wheat bran, or oat bran
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk flour, buttermilk powder, dried egg whites, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in flaxseed meal, dry milk and bran (Makes 6 cups dry mix).
- Combine milk, oil and vanilla in a glass measuring cup.
- Place 2 cups pancake mix in a large bowl (Refrigerate the remaining pancake mix in an airtight container for up to 1 month or freeze for up to 3 months). Make a well in the center of the pancake mix. Whisk in the milk mixture until just blended; do not over mix (The batter will seem quite thin, but will thicken up as it stands). Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Coat a nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Whisk the batter. Using 1/4 cup batter for each pancake, cook pancakes until the edges are dry and bubbles begin to form, about 2 minutes. Turn over and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes longer. Adjust heat as necessary for even browning.
- Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Pancakes: Fold 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 3 ounces chocolate chips into the batter.
- Blueberry: Fold 1 cup frozen blueberries into the batter.
- Banana-Nut: Fold 1 cup thinly sliced bananas and 4 tablespoons finely chopped toasted pecans into the batter.
Tips & Notes
Notes: If you can't find flaxseed meal, you can make it yourself. Start with whole flaxseeds: Grind 2/3 cup whole flaxseeds to yield 1 cup.
Calories: 138, Carbohydrates: 14 g., Fat: 7 mg., Saturated Fat: 1 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 3 mg., Protein: 6 mg., Cholesterol: 4 g., Fiber: 2 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 235 mg., Added Sugars: