A hearty and satisfying vegetable stew. Delicious with crusty bread and a green salad or grilled cheese sandwich.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (about 3 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced russet potatoes (½-inch cubes)
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup diced apple
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine (or water)
- 3/4 cup pearled barley, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons each salt and black pepper
In a large stock pot, sauté the onion and red pepper in the olive oil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes; add the garlic and curry powder and sauté for one minute more. Add the barley and 3 cups of vegetable or chicken broth; bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, potatoes, butternut squash, apple, remaining broth, wine, salt, and pepper. Simmer for another 20 minutes or until the barley is tender. Taste for salt before serving.
This hearty stew is delicious with crusty bread and a green salad, or accompanied by a toasty grilled cheese sandwich on whole-grain bread.
Calories: 241, Fat: 14 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 630 mg, Carbohydrate: 41 g, Dietary Fiber: 9 g, Protein: 7 g