Grilled Vegetables with Tomato Apple Chutney
Total Time:50 minutes
This warm and fragrantly spiced chutney is delicious atop grilled veggies of your choosing; a perfect summertime dish.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 small apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds of mixed vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, potatoes, fennel, onions in any combination), cut in 2- to 4-inch pieces
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the chutney, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and ginger for a few minutes and then add the garlic and mustard seeds; sauté for 2 more minutes. Add the cumin, salt, tomatoes, apple, vinegar and a pinch of black pepper. Stir well, lower the heat to low, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Remove from heat and reserve. The chutney may be made up to 7 days in advance; keep leftover chutney refrigerated for up to a week.
- To grill the vegetables, preheat grill to medium-high. Drizzle the chopped vegetables lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables a few minutes on each side until cooked to desired tenderness. Serve with warm tomato chutney.
For an easy summertime meal, serve the grilled veggies with couscous or brown basmati rice, or use to top a pizza or foccacia bread.
151 calories, 7 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 210 mg. sodium, 20 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 4 g. protein