Grilled Scallions with Romesco Sauce
Start your meal with tender grilled scallions dipped in garlicky roasted red pepper romesco sauce.
- 12 to 15 scallions
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Trim the roots and 1 to 2 inches from the green ends of the scallions. Rinse and remove any loose outside layers. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, blend together the almonds, roasted red peppers, garlic, vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil and parsley. Stir and scrape the sides as needed and blend until smooth. Add the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and blend well. Set aside while grilling the scallions.
- Brush the scallions with remaining olive oil and gently place perpendicular to the grill to prevent them from falling through the grates. Grill for 2 minutes, just until grill marks appear, and then carefully flip and grill another minute or so. The scallions should be al dente. Serve warm with romesco sauce for dipping and slices of crusty bread.
This Spanish sauce is also delicious with oven-roasted potato wedges, fries or even grilled shrimp or as a condiment for chicken, lamb chops or meatballs. It makes a great alternative to pesto as well: stir it into soups and stews or toss with pasta.
175 calories, 13 g. fat, 6 mg. cholesterol, 151 mg. sodium, 10 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 7 g. protein