Grilled Eggplant Napoleon
Looking for an easy and delicious dish with "wow" factor? Try this easy recipe.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 red bell peppers, seeds and stems removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces Halloumi cheese, sliced into 10 rectangles
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons finely-diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed olives (pits removed)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Pinch each of salt and ground black pepper
- In a mixing bowl, stir together all the salsa ingredients and taste for salt and pepper. Set aside to let the flavors combine while grilling the eggplant and bell peppers.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Remove the stem and bottom of the eggplant and slice crosswise into 10 rounds approximately 1/2-inch thick. Slice the red peppers into quarters. Brush both sides of the ggplant, pepper and Halloumi slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the eggplant and peppers until tender, 4-5 minutes on each side, and lightly grill the Halloumi cheese for 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and assemble the napoleons on individual serving plates, starting with a spoonful of salsa, an eggplant slice, a red pepper slice and a cheese slice; repeat, and top the stack with a third spoonful of salsa. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
If Halloumi is unavailable, substitute fresh mozzarella and do not grill the cheese.
288 calories, 22 g. fat, 3 mg. cholesterol, 169 mg. sodium, 15 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 9 g. protein