Grilled Apricots with Smoky Blue Cheese and Almonds
This appetizer is bursting with an amazing combination of sweet, savory, sour, spicy and smoky flavors. A delicious way to celebrate fresh apricots (and other stone fruits)!
- 8 firm ripe apricots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Pinch cayenne
- 8 slices baguette, 1/2 inch thick
- Extra olive oil for brushing the bread
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 ounces smoky blue cheese
- Cut the apricots in half lengthwise, remove the pits and place them in a bowl. Combine the olive oil honey, lemon juice, thyme leaves and cayenne and gently toss with the apricots.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to high heat and grill the apricots about 2 minutes per side or until golden and sizzling. Make a little crostini by brushing the bread slices with olive oil and cooking them on the grill until lightly toasted. (For softer bread, toast just one side; for crispier bread, toast both.)
- Arrange 2 apricot halves on each of the crostini, scatter with the smoky blue cheese and chopped almonds and garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme. Fabulous!
163 calories, 7 g. fat, 5 mg. cholesterol, 209 mg. sodium, 20 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 5 g. protein