Goat Cheese Pesto Torta
Impress your guests with this festive, simple-to-prepare torta.
- 1 pound chevre, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup prepared basil pesto
- 1/4 cup prepared sun-dried tomato pesto or roasted red pepper purée
- 1/4 cup olive tapenade
- Drain the basil pesto in a fine mesh colander to remove any excess oil. Oil a small loaf pan and then line the pan with parchment paper or plastic wrap, making sure that there is enough wrap hanging over all four sides of the pan to be able to wrap the torta after it’s been assembled.
- Using a hand-held electric mixer on low speed, blend together the goat cheese and cream cheese. Divide the cheese mixture into four portions; spread one portion evenly in the bottom of the pan. Carefully spread additional layers as follows: the basil pesto, another layer of cheese, the sun-dried tomato pesto (or red pepper purée), another layer of cheese, the olive tapenade, ending with a final layer of cheese. Wrap the ends of the parchment paper or plastic wrap over the top of the torta, ensuring the entire torta is wrapped well, and refrigerate for about 12 hours. When firm, gently remove the torta from the pan, unwrap and place on a serving platter.
This impressive appetizer is quick to assemble using pre-made pesto and tapenade. Allow the torta to soften a bit before serving with fine crackers or toasted thin slices of baguette. The torta will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days; it even freezes well for up to 2 months.
160 calories, 6 g. fat, 25 mg. cholesterol, 290 mg. sodium, 3 g. carbohydrate, 8 g. fiber, 6 g. protein