Garlic Basil Ratatouille
This 30 minute fresh and garlicky ratatouille is delicious with couscous or brown rice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small yellow squash, diced
- 1 small eggplant, stem removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, bell peppers and garlic for a few minutes. Add the zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant and diced tomatoes (with juice) and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer on low for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently. When the eggplant and squash are tender, stir in the basil and pine nuts, and taste for salt and black pepper. Remove from heat and serve warm.
Serve this delicious vegetable stew over cooked couscous or nutty brown rice sprinkled with shredded or flaked Manchego cheese, and a side of garlic green beans. Use fire-roasted instead of plain diced tomatoes for a smoky, outdoor flavor!
169 calories, 7 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 59 mg. sodium, 24 g. carbohydrate, 8 g. fiber, 6 g. protein