Garden Vegetable Bake
Fresh local produce and the super grain, quinoa, star in this hearty dish.
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, julienned
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 3 summer squash or zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cup sweet peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound cottage cheese
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cups provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa and water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, bell peppers, summer squash, peas, and spices until the squash is soft. Add tomato paste and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, parsley, and 1 cup of shredded provolone.
- Combine the cooked quinoa, sautéed vegetables, and cheese mixture, and press into a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking pan. Top with sliced tomatoes and remaining shredded provolone.
- Cover and bake for 50 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes, until cheese is browned.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 15 minutes before slicing into squares.
Accompany this rich, full-flavored dish with a light green salad tossed with vinaigrette and a slice of foccacia, and end with fresh fruit sorbet for dessert.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Leftovers can be frozen for a future ready-made meal.
Calories: 431, Fat: 21 g, Cholesterol: 112 mg, Sodium: 959 mg, Carbohydrate: 32 g, Dietary Fiber: 7 g, Protein: 29 g