Flaky Biscuits with Creamy White Sauce
Going vegan doesn't mean giving up a creamy sauce over some tender biscuits. Breakfast just got a lot more comforting, especially with a tofu scramble or some tempeh bacon on the side. The technique of slicing the margarine, as thinly as possible, makes the biscuits extra flaky.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegan stick margarine, chilled
- 3/4 cup plain non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegan stick margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 2 cups plain non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Using a paring knife, thinly sliver the margarine into the flour mixture in the bowl. Try to shave the margarine paper thin, and as the slices fall in the bowl, toss them with flour. Dip the knife in flour as you go. Mix the cold non-dairy milk with the cider vinegar and let stand for a minute, then quickly stir into the flour. Don't over-mix.
- When the dough starts to come together, dump the dough onto a flour dusted counter. Pat it out gently to make a rectangle. Fold a third of the dough over the center, then fold the other third over that, making a 3-layer stack. Using flour to keep from sticking, pat the dough down to 1-inch thick. Use a 2-inch biscuit cutter to cut biscuits. Place the biscuits 2 inches apart on the sheet pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown and puffed.
- While the biscuits bake, heat the remaining margarine in a 2-quart pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and clear, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onions in the pan and keep stirring, lower the heat to medium. Cook for a couple of minutes, then take off the heat and whisk the remaining non-dairy milk in very gradually. Whisk in salt and white pepper and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened and only slightly bubbly. Take off the heat.
- Serve about 3 tablespoons of sauce over each hot biscuit.
Serve with a tofu scramble and tempeh bacon. Add cooked leftover veggies to the white sauce for color and additional flavor.
166 calories, 8 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 443 mg. sodium, 20 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 4 g. protein