Fig ‘n’ Flax Thumbprint Cookies
Fig preserves, ground flax's nutty flavor and brown sugar that caramelizes as the cookies bake make these irresistible.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup ground flaxseed, (see Note), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fig preserves
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Beat butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until creamy. Add egg yolk and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed, cream of tartar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in another bowl. Slowly add the flour mixture to the batter and beat on low until just combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Place the egg white in a small bowl. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup each brown sugar and ground flaxseed in a shallow dish. Roll slightly rounded teaspoons of dough into balls. Dip one ball at a time into the egg white and then roll in the sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press your thumb (or index finger) into the middle of each cookie and spoon enough preserves (about 1/4 teaspoon) into the well to fill it.
- Bake the cookies in batches until set, 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
Ingredient Notes: Store ground flaxseed (or flax meal)in the refrigerator or freezer. Turbinado sugar is steam-cleaned raw cane sugar. It’s coarse-grained and light brown in color, with a slight molasses flavor.
Make Ahead tips: Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Or bake with no preserves and reduce baking time to 12 to 14 minutes; freeze the unfilled cookies for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature before filling with preserves.
80 calories, 4 g. fat, 15 mg. cholesterol, 14 mg. sodium, 11 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 1 g. protein