These bars are delicious warm from the oven. Try them topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and sliced bananas, for dessert. They also make a tasty treat in a brown bag lunch.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter (cold and cut into small pieces)
- 1 1⁄2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Bring the water to a simmer in a small saucepan. Add the dates and simmer for 8-10 minutes (stirring frequently to prevent the dates from sticking) until the mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or oil an 8 x 8 square baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, sugar, walnuts, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Press half of the flour mixture into the bottom of the baking pan. Press firmly with your fingers so that the bottom crust holds together. Gently spread the date mixture over the bottom crust. Pour the remaining flour mixture on top and press gently to make an even top crust. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the crust is browning. Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
Try these date bars warm from the oven, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and sliced bananas, for dessert. They also make a fine addition to a brown bag lunch.
Calories: 261, Fat: 13 g, Cholesterol: 26 mg, Sodium: 141 mg, Carbohydrate: 35 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Protein: 4 g