Creamy Broccoli Soup
If you are making other broccoli dishes in which you really only want the florets, save the stems and use them within the week for this. You only need 2 cups of florets to stir in after pureeing, so make up the difference with peeled and chopped stems in the soup. Alternately, just use a big bunch of broccoli, and use up every bit of it.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, stems peeled, 2 cups florets reserved OR a heavier ratio of stems: 1 1/4 pound stems and 5 ounces broccoli florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 3 tablespoons white rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Peel and chop broccoli stems and onion, reserving the broccoli florets. Put in a big pot, add rice and stock or water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until vegetables and rice are very tender, about 15 minutes. Reserve 2 cups of broccoli florets, then add the rest of the florets to the soup and simmer for 5 more minutes. Steam or microwave the remaining 2 cups broccoli florets just until crisp tender.
- Puree the broccoli mixture in batches to a smooth consistency, adding sour cream and milk as it becomes smooth. Return to pan and gently reheat, whisking in just enough milk to thin to a consistency of your liking. Stir in broccoli florets, salt, pepper and basil. Warm just to serving temperature. Be very careful not to boil.
277 calories, 14 g. fat, 34 mg. cholesterol, 571 mg. sodium, 34 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 9 g. protein