Cranberry Orange Walnut Bars
These cake-like bars are as delicious as they are beautiful. A great way to use leftover fresh or frozen cranberries, but don't wait for leftovers to try these delicious morsels!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 orange, zest and juice (about 1/2 cup of juice)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch square baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to blend the softened butter and brown sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time and add the vanilla.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and blend until thoroughly incorporated. Mix in the walnuts, cranberries, orange zest, and juice by hand. Smooth batter evenly into the baking dish.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (the edges should be beginning to brown). Let cool before slicing into bars.
These cake-like bars make a nice dessert when paired with a rich French vanilla ice cream or fruit sorbet.
Calories: 241, Fat: 11 g, Cholesterol: 56 mg, Sodium: 141 mg, Carbohydrate: 33 g, Dietary Fiber: 1 g, Protein: 4 g