- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, very cold
- Place 1 cup of strawberries in a small bowl and add the sugar and vanilla extract. Mash the strawberries into small pieces using a fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pour the cold whipping cream into a cold, medium-sized bowl. Using a beater, whip the cream until it holds stiff peaks. Fold the mashed strawberries and 3/4 of the chocolate into the whipped cream.
- Using a tablespoon, fill a wide-mouth glass (such as a martini glass or tumbler) 1/3 full with the whipped cream, then top with a layer of sliced strawberries. Repeat with more whipped cream and another layer of strawberries. Top with remaining whipped cream and garnish with chocolate shavings.
Accompany this elegant dessert with a plate of delicate shortbread cookies. Blueberries, raspberries, or pitted cherries can be used instead of the strawberries, if you prefer.
Tips & Notes
Substitute all or a portion of the whipped cream with low-fat vanilla yogurt or Greek yogurt for a lower fat version.