Chipotle Corn Chowder
Nothing says comfort like homemade soup. This delicious chipotle corn chowder will warm and delight the whole family!
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 2 cups button mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 russet potatoes, diced in 1/2" cubes
- 3 cups fresh roasted or cooked corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- In a large sauce pot on medium high heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add carrots, celery and poblano pepper and sauté for 3-5 minutes until the vegetable begin to soften. Add in garlic and mushrooms and sauté briefly, then add the flour and stir well. Add the stock and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add in potatoes and simmer for an additional 7-10 minutes. Add corn, herbs and spices and stir well. Add heavy cream, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Garnish and serve hot.
Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro or extra chipotle peppers. Serve with sides of sour cream, corn kernels, Cojita cheese, pico de gallo, crusty bread or tortilla chips.
527 Calories, 33 g. fat, 100 mg. cholesterol, 305 mg. sodium, 51 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 12 g. protein