Chicken-Fried Steak & Gravy
No deep frying, but with rich country gravy as consolation, you won't miss it with this pan-fried crispy cube steak.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound cube steak, cut into 4 portions
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place all-purpose flour on a large plate. Place egg whites in a shallow dish. Whisk cornmeal, whole-wheat flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch and paprika in another shallow dish. Season both sides of steak with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Dredge the steak in the flour, shaking off excess; dip in the egg whites, then dredge in the cornmeal mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add 2 pieces of the steak; cook until browned on both sides, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes total. Transfer the steak to the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 pieces of steak. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add broth to the pan and boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 1 cup, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk water and the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in half-and-half; season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Serve the steak topped with the gravy.
Calories: 305, Carbohydrates: 14 g., Fat: 13 mg., Saturated Fat: 3 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 7 mg., Protein: 31 mg., Cholesterol: 59 g., Fiber: 1 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 473 mg., Added Sugars: 0 mg.