Celeriac & Parsnip Mash
Tangy and aromatic celeriac is combined with parsnips and russet potatoes in this delightful mashed potato alternative.
- 1 medium celeriac, (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium parsnips, (about 3/4 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch slices, thick ends quartered
- 1 large russet potato, (about 3/4 pound), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 2 tablespoons low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place celeriac and parsnips in a large saucepan; cover with lightly salted water. Place potato in a medium saucepan; cover with lightly salted water. Bring both saucepans to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently until the vegetables are very tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes for the potato and 30 to 40 minutes for the celeriac and parsnips.
- When the potato is tender, drain and transfer to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher. Cover and keep warm. When the celeriac and parsnips are tender, drain and transfer to a food processor; process until smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides. Add the puree to the potato.
- Meanwhile, combine broth and oil in a saucepan (or measuring cup) and heat on the stovetop (or in the microwave) until steaming. Stir into the puree, along with 2 tablespoons chives, yogurt, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in Parmesan. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon chives. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
Tip: Look for round celeriac globes with smooth, tight, papery skins. Fewer indentations mean easier peeling. But do clean out whatever indentations there are.
Make Ahead Tips: Cover the puree with parchment paper or foil and keep warm over a pan of barely simmering water for up to 1 hour. (Alternatively, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; reheat in the microwave.)
Calories: 195, Carbohydrates: 28 g., Fat: 7 mg., Saturated Fat: 2 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 4 mg., Protein: 6 mg., Cholesterol: 6 g., Fiber: 5 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 419 mg.