Broccoli and Cheddar Rice Casserole
This is one of our High Five recipes, made from five main ingredients or less. Simplify your life with more delicious High Five recipes.
Bake this bubbling, cheesy casserole, and the tender rice and cheddar will convince the kids that broccoli is their favorite veggie. You'll save time by whisking a little flour into the milk and cooking it just enough to thicken, then stirring it into the casserole, where it becomes a creamy sauce in the oven.
The High Five (Four!)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 4 cups broccoli florets
Pantry and Kitchen Items
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Heat the oven to 375⁰F and lightly oil a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a 1-quart pot, bring the water to a boil and add the basmati rice and half of the salt. Return to a boil, cover tightly, and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes, until all the water is absorbed. Take off the heat, fluff and let stand for 5 minutes, then scrape into the prepared baking dish in a pile to cool.
- In a small saucepan, whisk the flour and milk and place over medium heat. Whisk until the milk starts to boil. As soon as the milk is boiling and slightly thickened, take off the heat and pour over the rice.
- Sprinkle in all but half a cup of the cheese and add the broccoli, then stir to combine. Pat the mixture flat with the back of your spoon and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown and melty. Serve warm.
Add crisp apple slices or crunchy carrot sticks to round out a kid-approved meal.
370 calories, 15 g. fat, 45 mg. cholesterol, 710 mg. sodium, 42 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 18 g. protein