Bold Winter Greens Salad
For this cousin of the Caesar salad use a combination of winter greens, such as radicchio and escarole; the anchovies and lemon juice temper their bitterness. Vary the amount of garlic and anchovy according to your preference. And, if you'd prefer to forgo anchovies, find vegetarian substitutes in the tips below.
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3-4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 cups chopped mixed bitter salad greens, such as chicory, radicchio and escarole
- 3 large hard-boiled eggs
- Place garlic to taste in a large salad bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add lemon juice and vinegar; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in anchovies to taste. Whisk in oil in a slow steady stream until well combined.
- Add salad greens and toss. Shred 3 egg whites and 1 egg yolk through the large holes of a box grater (reserve the remaining yolks for another use or discard). Sprinkle the salad with the grated egg.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip
Prepare the dressing (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Hard Boiling Eggs
To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
92 calories, 8 g. fat, 22 mg. cholesterol, 102 mg. sodium, 3 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 2 g. protein