Total Time:1 hour
Blueberries, coconut and macadamia nuts make this luxurious muffin breathtakingly delicious.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut or vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine coconut, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 tablespoons macadamia nuts in a small bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; stir to combine. Set aside.
- Whisk the remaining 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, egg, egg white, buttermilk, butter and coconut (or vanilla) extract in a medium bowl until well combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients; stir until just combined. Add blueberries and the remaining 3 tablespoons nuts; stir just to combine. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the reserved coconut topping and gently press into the batter.
- Bake the muffins until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack at least 5 minutes more before serving.
Tips & Notes
No buttermilk? Mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice into 1 cup milk.
203 calories, 28 g. fat, 23 mg. cholesterol, 122 mg. sodium, 28 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 4 g. protein