Blintzes Stuffed with Sweetened Ricotta
Total Time:2 hours; 1 hour active
Try these luxurious blintzes as a dessert or as a delightful breakfast.
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Warmed jam for topping
- Melt the butter and let cool slightly. Pour into a blender or food processor and add the flour, salt, sugar, eggs and milk. Process to mix, scrape if necessary and pulse to make sure the batter is well combined. Transfer the batter to a storage container, cover, and refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight.
- Once the batter has chilled, in another medium bowl, stir the ricotta with the honey.
- To make the blintzes, heat a ten-inch non-stick or cast iron pan over medium heat. Butter the pan and measure 1/4 cup of batter. Once the butter has melted, pour the batter into the pan, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan evenly. Use a thin rubber spatula to loosen the edges of the blintz as it cooks. Cook for about 4 minutes, until the edges are browned and the top is bubbled. Carefully slide the spatula under the blintz and flip in the pan, cook for just a few seconds before flipping onto a plate or cutting board. Continue until all the batter is used.
- On the center of each blintz, place 1/4 cup of sweetened ricotta, then fold in the sides to make a square package. Serve with warmed jam atop each blintz.
Tips & Notes
The blintzes cook quickly and can be made ahead and reheated—just wrap them in foil and place in a warm oven for about 20 minutes. Then fill and enjoy!
364 calories, 18 g. fat, 124 mg. cholesterol, 261 mg. sodium, 41 g. carbohydrate, 0 g. fiber, 11 g. protein