Black Bean Taquitos
These simple and tasty taquitos make a delicious lunch, dinner or appetizer.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup cooked corn kernels, frozen or canned
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/4 pound queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- 12 10-inch corn or flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapeño, and red pepper, and sauté another 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the spices and cook for one minute. Add the black beans, tomato, corn, salt and cilantro, and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and gently mash the mixture with the back of a spoon or a potato masher so the mixture sticks together. The beans do not need to be entirely mashed. Gently stir in the queso fresco, and set aside.
- Warm the tortillas in a clean, damp towel in the microwave for a few seconds until warm and pliable. Brush one side of a tortilla with vegetable oil, flip tortilla over and place 1-2 tablespoons of filling near one edge of the tortilla. Roll up the tortilla gently but tightly and place seam-side down on a greased baking sheet. Repeat until all tortillas are filled. Bake 10-15 minutes, checking frequently, until tortillas begin to crisp and hold their shape. Remove from oven and serve hot.
Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream, or try drizzling taquitos with a chili-lime dressing and top with some crumbled Cotija cheese or queso fresco.
Tips & Notes
A tortilla made from both corn and flour resists cracking when baked.
436 calories, 16 g. fat, 20 mg. cholesterol, 332 mg. sodium, 58 g. carbohydrate, 11 g. fiber, 17 g. protein