Black Bean-Smothered Sweet Potatoes
An alternative to the traditional baked potato, this black bean topped baked sweet potato makes a delicious entree.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on High until tender all the way to the center, 12 to 15 minutes (Alternatively, place in a baking dish and bake at 425ºF until tender all the way to the center, about 1 hour).
- Meanwhile, combine beans, tomato, oil, cumin, coriander and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave on High until just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat).
- When just cool enough to handle, slash each sweet potato lengthwise, press open to make a well in the center and spoon the bean mixture into the well. Top each with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Calories: 309, Carbohydrates: 52 g., Fat: 7 mg., Saturated Fat: 2 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 4 mg., Protein: 11 mg., Cholesterol: 6 g., Fiber: 13 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 492 mg., Added Sugars: 0 mg.