Total Time:1 3/4 hours
Beer keeps the chicken juicy and a smoky-flavored spice rub both under and over the skin gives it extra flavor.
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 4-pound chicken
- 1 12-ounce bottle beer, preferably pale ale or American lager, divided
- Preheat a gas grill (with all burners lit) to 400°F or build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
- Combine paprika, oregano, salt, brown sugar, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle chile and pepper in a small bowl.
- Remove giblets from chicken (if included) and trim any excess skin. Loosen the skin over the breast and thigh meat. Rub the spice mixture under the skin onto the breast meat and leg meat, a little on the skin and inside the cavity. Tuck wings under the body and tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- If using a gas grill, turn off one burner (leaving 1 to 2 burners lit, depending on your grill). If using a charcoal grill, move the coals to one side. Wearing an oven mitt, carefully place a drip pan under the grill rack on the unheated side. Place the chicken breast-side down on the rack over the pan. Pour half the beer into the cavity (it’s OK if some drips out into the drip pan).
- Close the lid and roast undisturbed for 45 minutes.
- Turn the chicken breast-side up. Pour the remaining beer into the cavity. Cover and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone registers 165°F, 30 to 45 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board; let rest for 10 minutes before removing the string and carving.
Calories: 173, Carbohydrates: 2 g., Fat: 7 mg., Saturated Fat: 2 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 2 mg., Protein: 25 mg., Cholesterol: 76 g., Fiber: 1 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 656 mg., Added Sugars: mg.