BBQ Tofu Sandwich
A delicious tofu burger topped with coleslaw and dill pickles.
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm or firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 cups coleslaw mix, (see Note) or finely shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 dill pickle sandwich slices
- Place onion in a small bowl, cover with cold water and set aside. Stand tofu on its long narrow side. Cut lengthwise into 4 rectangular slabs, each about 1/2 inch thick, and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu slabs (depending on the size of your pan, the tofu may slope up the sides a little). Cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Reduce heat to low. Add barbecue sauce and carefully turn the tofu to coat with the sauce. Cover and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine coleslaw (or cabbage), mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic powder and pepper in a medium bowl. Drain the onion.
- To assemble sandwiches, place about 1/3 cup of the coleslaw (or cabbage) mixture on each bun and top with a tofu slab, a pickle slice and a few onion slices. Spread any sauce remaining in the pan on the top buns.
Tips & Notes
Note: Look for preshredded cabbage-and-carrot “coleslaw mix” near other prepared vegetables in the produce section.
259 calories, 10 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 724 mg. sodium, 32 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 12 g. protein, 7 mg. added sugars