Baked Cod with Chorizo & White Beans
This recipe follows the Spanish and Portuguese tradition of pairing mild white fish with full-flavored cured sausage—just a bit gives the whole dish a rich, smoky flavor. Make it a meal: Enjoy with steamed green beans and roasted potatoes tossed with thyme and coarse salt.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 ounces Spanish chorizo, (see Shopping Tip) or turkey kielbasa, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, divided
- 1 15-ounce can great northern beans, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds Pacific cod, cut into 4 pieces (see Ingredient Note)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallot, chorizo (or kielbasa) and thyme and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and 1/4 cup wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are broken down and the wine is almost evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in beans and 1/4 teaspoon salt and remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle fish with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; place in the prepared baking dish. Top each piece of fish with equal amounts of the tomato mixture (about 1/2 cup per fillet). Pour the remaining 1/4 cup wine into the pan and cover the pan with foil. Bake until the fish is just cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve the fish with the sauce spooned over the top.
Tips & Notes
Shopping Tip: For this recipe we use fully cooked Spanish-style chorizo—spicy pork sausage seasoned with smoked paprika and chile. Ingredient Note: Overfishing and trawling have drastically reduced the number of cod in the Atlantic Ocean and destroyed its seafloor. Pacific cod (aka Alaska cod) is more sustainably fished and has a larger, more stable population, according to Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch.
Calories: 293, Carbohydrates: 18 g., Fat: 8 mg., Saturated Fat: 2 mg., Monounsaturated Fat: 4 mg., Protein: 30 mg., Cholesterol: 66 g., Fiber: 6 g., Postassium: mg., Sodium: 567 mg., Added Sugars: 0 mg.