Almond Honey Cake
When you want a sweet, sticky cake, and you want it soon, try this single layer of yumminess. It's all about almonds and honey, so pick a flavorful honey to show off and savor. Instead of frosting, a drizzle of honey and crunchy toasted almonds is light and easy.
- 1/4 cup whole almonds
- 1/2 cups slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large egg, separate out yolks
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cups honey, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Oil a 9-inch round cake pan. Spread the whole almonds on a baking sheet, then toast them for 10 minutes in the oven. Let cool, then chop coarsely.
- In a food processor or blender, grind the slivered almonds to a powder. In a large bowl, mix the almond powder, flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil, 1/2 cup of the honey, and almond extract, then stir into the flour mixture. With an electric mixer, whip the egg whites to firm peaks. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the wet mixture, then gently fold in the rest. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with only large moist crumbs attached.
- Let cake cool completely. Using a wooden skewer or something similar, poke holes in the cake every two inches. Transfer the cake to a serving plate. In a small saucepan, bring the remaining 1/4 cup of honey to a boil. Sprinkle the chopped whole almonds over the cake. Drizzle the honey over the almonds and into the holes. Let cool and serve.
270 calories, 13 g. fat, 79 mg. cholesterol, 178 mg. sodium,34 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 7 g. protein