Slow-Cooker Spinach Pesto and Broccoli Pizza
Total Time:3 hours; 30 minutes active
Believe it or not, the slow cooker can be used as a handy pizza oven. In a dorm room, or in your kitchen on a hot day, the slow cooker is a great way to make a small pizza.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt,
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups baby spinach, packed
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 4 ounces chevre cheese, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, optional
- For the dough: In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat and unbleached flours, yeast and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix well. In a cup, stir the water and olive oil, then pour into the flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon, until the dough becomes stiff and the flour is all incorporated. In the bowl or on a lightly floured counter, knead the dough for about five minutes, until smooth and elastic. Let the dough rest for a few minutes, covered with a clean towel.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of your slow cooker, and going up the sides about an inch and press into place. After the dough has rested, flatten and stretch to the shape of the bottom of the cooker. Place the dough on the parchment paper in the cooker and cover, let rise with the cooker off for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, make the pesto. In a food processor, combine the spinach, garlic pine nuts and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and puree. Add the olive oil, scrape down, and puree to make a paste.
- Open the cooker and spread the pesto over the dough. Sprinkle with broccoli and chevre cheese, then top with red pepper flakes, if desired. To prevent condensation from dripping onto the pizza, drape a clean kitchen towel over the cooker, then put on the lid. Cook on high for one hour and 15 minutes. Check to see if it is done in the center by piercing with a paring knife. The dough should be dry and fluffy.
- Cut in four pieces and serve.
Serve with a hearty green salad or white beans in vinaigrette.
290 calories, 8 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 640 mg. sodium, 46 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 9 g. protein