Cajun Spiced Catfish
Total Time:30 minutes; 15 minutes active
Catfish has an assertive flavor that's perfect for a spicy coating like this. This recipe skips the deep-fryer that is often the cooking method of choice for fish in the South, and opts instead for a leaner baked preparation with a lovely crust of spices.
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 6-ounce catfish filets
- 1 large lemon
- A few sprigs of fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰F. Use a teaspoon of the olive oil to lightly oil a baking dish that you can serve the fish in. Mix the spices in a small bowl or cup.
- Place the fish filets skin side down in the baking pan, with enough room that they are not overlapping at all. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the filets, then squeeze half of the lemon over the fish. Sprinkle the spices evenly over the fish.
- Bake for 15 minutes or so, until the fish flakes easily at the thickest part.
- Serve with the remaining half lemon, cut into slices, and parsley sprigs for garnish.
Makes a great main course, serve with coleslaw, red beans and rice, gumbo, or stewed greens.
236 calories, 13 g. fat, 94 mg. cholesterol, 317 mg. sodium, 3 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 26 g. protein