Grilled Tofu with Cilantro Ginger Pesto
Total Time:30 minutes
Set the scene for an Asian-themed cookout with this seasoned grilled tofu. The pesto is also delicious over noodles.
- 14-ounce block extra-firm tofu (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup wheat-free tamari
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed and dried
- 1⁄3 cup fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup black or white sesame seeds
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Beginning at the short end, slice the block of tofu into 8 even rectangles. Lay the tofu on a baking sheet and sprinkle with tamari. Let sit, flipping once while preparing the pesto.
- Cut the stems off of the washed cilantro and puree the leaves in a blender or food processor with the fresh ginger, oils, sugar, salt, and lime juice. The resulting pesto should resemble a vibrant green smoothie.
- Lightly oil the grill. Using a metal spatula, place the tofu on the grill and cook for 2 minutes. Flip and grill for 2 minutes on the other side. Remove to a plate and let cool, then toss with the cilantro pesto and garnish with ½ cup sesame seeds, black or white. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until ready to use.
This flavorful tofu sets the scene for an Asian-themed cookout, accompanied with spears of grilled pineapple and mango, chilled coconut water with wedges of lime, and plantain chips. Make extra cilantro pesto and serve over hearty soba noodles with shredded carrots and green onions for a quick and easy main course.
240 calories, 17 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 777 mg. sodium, 7 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 20 g. protein